Olympic boxer who died suddenly aged just 36 had been ‘clean living’ after jail

A “very talented” amateur boxer has died suddenly aged just 36 leaving the gym-goers in shock.

Lee Siner had been earmarked as a serious contender as he progressed through the ranks as a young fighter, died suddenly on Sunday, it has been confirmed.

Mr Siner had once boxed in the junior Olympics for England and had one accolades for his skills.

The boxing management company he worked with paid tribute to him following his death.

A spokesman for Maree Boxing said: “It is with extreme sadness to say we were informed that one of our boxers Lee Siner, sadly passed away this morning[Sun].

“Our thoughts at Maree Boxing go out to all Lee’s friends and family at this very sad time.

“We are also thinking of Terry Spencer and all his training team at the gym.

“There’s a special bond between boxer and coach and this will be a tough one for them. God Bless Lee, Rest easy champ. RIP.”

His most recent trainer, Terry Spencer, gave his own tribute.

He said: “Absolutely heartbroken, fly high big man. You told me to go on and make champions, that’s exactly what I will do.

“Everything I do in this game I will dedicate it to you, love you Lee.

“Condolences to the Siner family and Hayley. You are great people who he loved dearly.”

Damian Jones added: “I went to America with Lee when he was 16. He boxed in the junior Olympics for England with one of my boxers.

“Very talented as a teenager. Sad news to hear today.”

Mr Siner was once a decorated amateur at Salisbury Boxing Club and had established a reputation for his fast hands.

He later made headlines for the wrong reasons after he clashed with high-profile criminals and fell victim to serious attacks, but had recently spoken of turning his life around.

In 2010, while visiting a friend in HMP Garth in Preston, the then 25-year-old Mr Siner got into a fight with notorious Liverpool gangster James “Pancake” Taylor, knocking him out in the prison’s visiting room.

Months later, in a revenge attack, Taylor, along with accomplices, ambushed Mr Siner in Kimos restaurant, on Myrtle Street, Liverpool, hacking at him with a machete and leaving him seriously wounded.

In October 2014, Mr Siner was chased on the streets of Wavertree and shot in the back, leaving him in hospital for months with doctors unsure if he would make a full recovery.

In an interview last year with World Boxing News, Mr Siner spoke some of his past issues and struggles, saying: “I wish I could go back and have a proper word with myself, but life isn’t like that and all I can do is make the most of what’s in front of me.

“Back then, it felt like I had so much power and that gave me a different type of buzz than boxing.

“People knew who I was, I had money in my pocket, and it felt like I could basically go around doing what I wanted to do.

“I was drinking all the time and partying all over the place, and I never thought about the consequences about what it could be doing to me.”

And he detailed how in 2017, after time spent in jail, he made big efforts to turn his life around and had been “clean living.”